Thursday, May 5, 2011

Something is Rotten in the State of BHS: My Favorite Version of Hamlet

From all three different versions of Shakespeare's Hamlet, I must say the Ken Branagh version was my favorite by far.  I feel the version had much different qualities that kept the film unique from the other two versions. This was the only film which exemplified color and happiness instead of focusing only on the dreariness of Hamlet's disposition, like the other two versions did. This contrast of bright colors and Hamlet's lack of really showed how depressed he truly was. Also, at the beginning of the movie, it started with the true beginning of the play, where the guard maned his station, which I appreciated. Furthermore, when the ghost was introduced, the camera angle was set to make the audience feel as if they were the ghost, making it more convincing of the reactions of Barnardo and Francisco. Also, Hamlet's soliloquy in this version was amazing. His anger and dramatic tone really exemplified his inner turmoil from his sadness of his father's passing and his disapproval of his mother's marriage to his uncle. I really enjoyed how when during his soliloquy, he paced around the wedding aisle, juxtaposing his distaste of the marriage. I really enjoyed Branagh's interpretation of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

2 comments:

  1. This version is second on my list after the Zefferelli version. I really liked how Branagh started the movie off just like the book. On the other hand, I felt the opening scene was not very well acted. I felt like the actors were over dramatic. I also do not approve his choice of actors. Claudius and Gertrude were not very convincing. In fact, I felt as if Branagh did not emphasize Gertrude enough. In the Zefferelli version, Gertrude was played very well by the actress. Zefferelli highlighted Gertrude as being seemingly virtuous. Also, Branagh seems too prim to be Hamlet. I imagined Hamlet to be bearded and sketchy. Branagh is well dressed with his hair combed back and his mustache well trimmed. I do not see the sadness in his face or his person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Josh, this version was my second favorite. I also thought how there was so much color and life was interesting and unique. Branagh did an excellent job of deciding how the characters should dictate the scene. However, it wasn't my favorite because I personally did not like Gertrude. I imagined Gertrude to have "frailty" and not dishonesty. Branagh hinted that Gertrude and Claudius both had a secret, perhaps that they were having an affair during Hamlet Senior's life, or that they knew the reason why he has passed on. However, both films were very artful and creative. They impressed me more than Almereyda's version.

    ReplyDelete